Thursday, August 22, 2013

All politics are local! All things are political!

Don't remember who said the first part of my title but the second part reflects my view. Even ordering a jacket online has its political element, as noted below in the letter I just wrote to Ideeli, a woman's fashion website:

Dear Ideeli,

I finally got a resolution of my issue by speaking to someone by telephone earlier today. A jacket I ordered to wear in Maine in September, which was due to arrive between August 8 and 10, has not yet shipped. I wrote an email to cancel the order as I won't be home (and can't refuse as I don't have a doorman). No, I was told, "you can't cancel," so I tried Live Chat, also told "no, can't be cancelled," even though not yet shipped. The resolution by Ideeli, finally after a week of emailing and telephoning, is if it arrives (who knows when, where, and if ever) I get to keep it without paying. Ok, that's one for me, but that doesn't solve Ideeli's problem.

I used Ideeli over other sites, like Gilt and Haute because its delivery was so wonderful. The shipping dates and arrival dates were always accurate. Everything arrived on time and the prices were great. Loved it! Now after getting a dress a week after I had planned to wear it (waited at home two days for delivery) and not getting the jacket that's been pending shipment for weeks now (and nobody seems to know where it is) I am no longer a fan of Ideeli and won't order from you again.

So, why this email. Just to let you know that you had a great thing going and you screwed up. Why? I can take a reasonable guess. You wanted to save on wages so moved your operation to South Carolina from New Jersey. To pay some workers a minimal wage that they can barely get by on, you lost this customer and probably many more. I intend to write about this on my political blog and also to let those to whom I recommended Ideeli know that you are no longer reliable, and all to save money on workers' wages. I live in the northeast where most of my friends believe in decent wages for a decent day's work, and we also like good products, good prices, and accurate delivery dates.

I won't wish you good luck in South Carolina. You should have stayed in New Jersey. But thanks for the jacket, if it ever arrives.

Grace Brophy

No comments:

Post a Comment