Sunday, July 22, 2012

Yeah, I Don't Have Osteoporosis!

This is not my month!  I'm just recovering from a severe bruise inflicted on my ankle by a man who crashed into me at the Staten Island ferry.  Next I stubbed my toe on my coffee table leg and thought it was broken--probably not but it's still swollen and hurting. And today I fell on Fifth Avenue after shopping at Lord & Taylor, flat out, on both knees, one elbow and one hand. Bruises to follow.

Many of the cross streets in Manhattan have potholes and broken pavement and I'm always very careful when walking on such streets, looking down and stepping gingerly (and slowly) until I reach the other side, but today the cross walk was perfectly smooth so how was I to know that there was a dip of about three inches, and wham down I went, with the usual embarrassment. The only good news is I can hardly have osteoporosis after a fall of such magnitude. Why am I writing this?  Well, if anything more serious is noticeable in the morning I want some proof if I sue the City that this actually happened.  

In the interests of full disclosure, I've always read that wedge shoes are the most dangerous because they convey no feeling to the soles of the foot when one is walking on uneven ground. Yesterday, I purchased a great pair of black strap shoes (very sexy) with a cork wedge, higher than usual, which I wore shopping today, and I remember just before I fell saying to myself: "You know, Grace, you're not that young any more to be wearing heels so high." One lesson to be learned: don't talk to yourself in public, at least not while wearing high heels. And if you want to be sure you don't have osteoporosis, there are better ways to do it.  Get a bone scan!

And now, many hours later I realize that I did far worse than bruise my knees.  I must have pulled a muscle in my chest when I fell.  Whenever I move I'm in pain.  If not better tomorrow, I plan to take  pictures of the dip.  Perhaps I can prevent someone else from a similar fall although I'll lay odds that a few months from now, even after I report it, it'll still be there.   

2 comments: